Bear with me. This is my first time writing a pattern that someone other than me needs to interpret! Also, I will update with more pictures as I get them. If you have any questions or comments about this pattern please reach out & happy crocheting!
Let’s starts at the beginning…I had a customer request “F-bombs” so I did a simple google search to figure out what she was talking about. Turns out… it’s an actual thing! I found a few free patterns as well as many paid versions, so I had high hopes of the options I had out there. After making three different versions that did not work well for me (hand stitching the letters on was a pain in my butt.) I decided to take what I know about how to color change mid row and make my own pattern.
You can find a video tutorial for this entire project on my Facebook page, here.
If you simply want to see how I color change, that can be found here.
How do make a magic ring can be found here.
For this project you will need:
Worsted weight yarn (color A – bomb color, and color B – letter color, and a little bit of white)
“D” Crochet Hook
Polyfil or other stuffing material
ch – Chain
st – stitch
sc – Single Crochet
hdc – Half Double Crochet
hdc2tog – Half Double Crochet 2 together
BLO – Back Loop Only
1. sc 7 into a magic ring. (7)
2. Two hdc in each st around. (14)
3. *Two hdc in next st, hdc in next*. *Repeat around. (21)
4. Two hdc in first st, hdc in next two st, two hdc in next st, with color B – hdc in next 2 st, with color A – *two hdc, hdc. Repeat from * to the end of the round. (28)
5. hdc in next 6 sts, with color B – hdc in next 2 sts, with color A – hdc the rest of the round. (28)
6. hdc in next 4 sts, with color B – hdc in next 4 sts, with color A – hdc the rest of the round. (28)
7. hdc in next 6 sts, with color B – hdc in next 2 sts, with color A – hdc the rest of the round. (28)
8. hdc in next sts, with color B – hdc in the next 5 sts, with color A – hdc the rest of the round. (28)
9. *hdc2tog in first st, hdc in next 2. Repeat from * around. (21)
10. *hdc2tog in first st, hdc in next. Repeat form * around. (14)
–stuff ball with polyfil–
11. hdc2tog x 7. (7)
12. hdc2tog x 3. (4)
Wick Pattern: (I used a little bit of white yarn)
ch. 7, sc in 2nd chain from hook. (6) Tie off & leave tail for sewing.
Top of Bomb Pattern:
With color A…
1. sc 6 in a magic ring. (6)
2. Two sc around. (12)
3. BLO sc around. (12)
4. sc around. (12)
Tie off & leave long tail for sewing.
Putting it together:
Tie wick inside of the top.
Using a tapestry needle, sew the top onto the “bomb”.
Optional: Add a ‘spark’ to your wick by cutting small strands of yarn, attaching them to the end of the wick, & pull apart or rub them together.